As we are well aware, to comply with traffic rules and regulations, one of the most important things is to have your vehicle documents on your person when you are on the road. Also, you must have all your RTO vehicle information updated on your documents. In order to do that, you must be aware of the times when an alteration is required on your vehicle RC details. In this article, we tell you all about inter-state vehicle RC alterations and all the documentation that is needed for the same.
You may have to modify and update your vehicle information under two instances. Firstly, if you are shifting your residence from one state in India to another for a long duration, and you decide to take your car along and use it (at least for more than a year), then you need to undergo re-registration of your vehicle. Along with that, you would also need to undergo repayment of the road tax due. Moreover, before you begin the re-registration process, you must first check if there are any pending dues or e-challan online payment to be made and clear those. In this situation, there are certain points that you need to keep in mind:
- Firstly, you need to know that the repayment of the road tax would be calculated on the basis of the decline in the value of your vehicle.
- The owner of the vehicle under re-registration would be privy to a refund of the lifetime tax paid to the earlier state by furnishing the latest road tax slip.
Subsequently, the re-registration process for your vehicle will begin.
The second instance for vehicle registration alteration would arise when you are selling your vehicle to a person who would be using it in a different state in India. When an inter-state sale of a vehicle takes place, then you must be aware of key points mentioned below:
- The new owner of the vehicle (the buyer) has to be the one applying for transfer and re-registration of the vehicle from the older state to the new one.
- The new owner must check the blacklist status of the vehicle in the new state prior to closing the deal.
For the transfer of inter-state vehicle RC, the following documents are required:
- Form 20, for vehicle registration
- A No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the older Regional Transport Office (RTO) by the vehicle owner
- A No Objection Certificate (NOC) by the lending institution, in case the vehicle is on loan
- Form 27, for obtaining new registration certificate for the vehicle
- Form 33, for changes made in the registered address in the registration certificate
- Address proof
- Copy of the owner’s valid driving licence
- Verified copy of the Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate
- PAN card
- Passport sized photographs
For inter state vehicle RC alterations and transfer, it is imperative that proper documentation and procedures are followed. In case your documents are found incomplete or inaccurate in the new state, the traffic police can penalize you with hefty fines, or incarceration, or both.